Birmingham West 1914 - Warwickshire Sheet 13.08b
STEVE GARTON GENEALOGY - GODFREY EDITION OLD ORDNANCE SURVEY MAPS
BIRMINGHAM WEST 1914 - WARWICKSHIRE SHEET 13.08b
These detailed maps normally cover an area of about one and a half miles by one mile. Each map includes an introduction and many include extracts of directories, local transport timetables and additional maps.
We have published two versions of this busy map, showing how the area changed across the years. Coverage stretches from Rotton Park Reservoir eastward to Bingley Hall and King Alfred's Place, and from Spring Hill southward to Five Ways and Hagley Road.
The map includes the Ladywood area and has a marked contrast between the cramped streets of terraces and back-to-backs of Ladywood and the more spacious detached houses on the south side of Hagley Road, at the foot of the map. The busy Broad Street area is included. Features include Birmingham Canal, Birmingham Canal (Old Line), various branch canals, LNWR Stour Valley Railway with Monument Lane station, goods stations and engine sheds, Harborne Branch with Icknield Port Road station, tramways, Children's Hospital, Grammar School, Queen's Hospital, Bingley Hall, skating rinks, Assembly Rooms, Prince of Wales Theatre, many engineering works and other workshops, Palace Theatre, St John's church, The Oratory, RC High School, Summerfield Park, schools, Lower Edgbaston Reservoir, etc and much else. On the reverse we include a selection of street directory entries.
The 1887 version is fully coloured, taken from the beautiful 1st Edition OS handcoloured edition.
The map links up with sheets 13.04 Winson Green to the north, 14.05 Central Birmingham to the east, 13.12 Edgbaston to the south and Staffordshire sheet 72.07 Bearwood to the west.
It will be posted in a board backed envelope to ensure it reaches you in perfect condition.