Blandford Forum 1901 - Dorset Sheet 24.07
STEVE GARTON GENEALOGY - GODFREY EDITION OLD ORDNANCE SURVEY MAPS
BLANDFORD FORUM 1901 - DORSET SHEET 24.07
These detailed maps normally cover an area of about one and a half miles by one mile. Each map includes an introduction and many include extracts of directories, local transport timetables and additional maps.
This very detailed map covers one of the finest Georgian towns in England. A disastrous fire in 1731 meant that the town had to be rebuilt, and because it grew only slowly in the 19th century (the population was under 4,000 in 1901) the Georgian character survived. Features on the map include the whole town centre, largely encircled by the River Stour, the Somerset & Dorset Railway with station (the line was being doubled at the time of this survey), Market Place, workhouse, Blandford Bridge, Hall & Woodhouse Brewery, St Leonard's Farm (which included a medieval chapel), Bryanston Park. To the west the map reaches St Martin's old and new churches, marking the site of an old medieval village.
It will be posted in a board backed envelope to ensure it reaches you in perfect condition.