Brampton & District 1903 - England Sheet 18
This folded map which measures approximately 24" x 18" when unfolded is produced by Alan Godfrey and covers an area of about 18 miles by 12 miles. It shows railways, roads and canals, and gives a broad view of a wider area. It also includes an introduction and a more detailed map of a small town or village.
This early One Inch Ordnance Survey map covers the area from the eastern suburbs of Carlisle eastward to Featherstone Castle and Blenkinsopp Hall. The only town is Brampton but other features include Naworth Park, much of the Alston Branch railway, several of Lord Carlisle's mineral lines, Geltsdale, Glendue Fell, Tindale Fells, stretches of Hadrian's Wall etc. On the reverse we include a detailed map of the village of Wetheral, including Wetheral Abbey, Corby Castle, Great Corby, station, Corby Gates, Holy Trinity church etc. Although most of the One Inch map is in Cumberland, a strip of Northumberland runs down the eastern side.
It is not possible to list the many hamlets, farmsteads and other topographical features shown on these maps. However, you may find it useful if we list the towns and principal villages or church parishes that are included on this map. Links are given for those for which detailed large-scale maps are also available.
Cumberland: Brampton, Burtholme, Carlatton, Castle Carrock, Crosby upon Eden, Cumrew, Farlam, Gilsland, Hayton, Hethersgill, Irthington, Kirklinton Middle, Midgeholme, Naworth Park, Scaleby, Upper Denton, Walton, Warwick, Waterhead, Wetheral, Wreay.
Northumberland: Blenkinsopp, Featherstone, Greenhead, Kirkhaugh, Knarsdale, Lambley.