Central Huddersfield 1905 - Yorkshire Sheet 246.15b
STEVE GARTON GENEALOGY - GODFREY EDITION OLD ORDNANCE SURVEY MAPS
CENTRAL HUDDERSFIELD 1905 - YORKSHIRE SHEET 246.15b
These detailed maps normally cover an area of about one and a half miles by one mile. Each map includes an introduction and many include extracts of directories, local transport timetables and additional maps.
We have published 2 versions of this map, showing how the area developed across the years. The 1889 version is in full colour.
These detailed and busy maps cover the central area of Huddersfield. Coverage stretches from Crosland Moor Bottom and Gledholt Junction eastward to Storths and Longley Hall, and from St Stephens Street northward to Fitzwilliam Street. Features include the station, River Colne, Longley Park, Huddersfield Canal, Rashcliffe, Greenhead Park, Paddock Foot, Lower Fold, Seed Hill, Exchange, St Paul's church, Kings Mills, Folly Hall, Infirmary, Market Hall, tramways, St Peter's church, Color Works, Water Royd Mills, Gledholt, Springdale Mills and many other mills, making this a map of great interest. Engels in the 1840s thought Huddersfield "the most beautiful of the factory towns of Lancashire and Yorkshire". The 1889 map includes street directory entries for Folly Hall, John William Street, King Street, Manchester Street, Market Place and Street, Station Street, Upperhead Row. The 1905 version also has a selection of street directory entries.
The 1889 version is our first colour printed map in Yorkshire and is taken from the beautiful hand-coloured 1st Edition.
The map links up with sheet 246.11 Huddersfield North to the north, 246.14 Huddersfield West to the west, 246.16 Huddersfield East to the east and 260.03 Huddersfield South to the south.
It will be posted in a board backed envelope to ensure it reaches you in perfect condition.