Deal 1871 - Kent Sheet 58.04
STEVE GARTON GENEALOGY - GODFREY EDITION OLD ORDNANCE SURVEY MAPS
DEAL 1871 - KENT SHEET 58.04
These detailed maps normally cover an area of about one and a half miles by one mile. Each map includes an introduction and many include extracts of directories, local transport timetables and additional maps.
This detailed and early Ordnance Survey map is double-sided to provide maximum coverage of the town. The principal map (Sheet 58.04) covers the southern half of the town, from Lower Street southward to The Strand and Lord Warden Inn; and from the North and South Promenades westward to Upper Deal, with St Leonard's church, and Sholden, with St Nicholas church. These are both shown as tiny villages but the many busy features of Deal itself include Deal Castle, Royal Marine Hospital Barracks, Victoria Town, St Andrew's church, railway station (then a terminus), Royal Signal Tower, St George's church, Middle Deal House. On the reverse is a large section of the map to the north, Sheet 48.16, covering the northern half of the town. This includes Beach Street, Middle Street, Alfred Square, Gas Works, Kennel Farm, and coverage extends north to the Good Intent pub and ruins of Sandown Castle.
It will be posted in a board backed envelope to ensure it reaches you in perfect condition.