Denton 1934 - Lancashire Sheet 105.14b

Denton 1934 - Lancashire Sheet 105.14b

  • £3.50
    Unit price per 
  • Save £0.25
Tax included.


STEVE GARTON GENEALOGY - GODFREY EDITION OLD ORDNANCE SURVEY MAPS

DENTON 1934 - LANCASHIRE SHEET 105.14b

These detailed maps normally cover an area of about one and a half miles by one mile. Each map includes an introduction and many include extracts of directories, local transport timetables and additional maps.

We have published two versions of this map, showing how the area developed across the years. The maps cover the central area of Denton, with Haughton to the east, with coverage stretching from Holland Street and Windmill Lane eastward to Kingston Mills; and from St Lawrence's church northward to Audenshaw cemetery.

Features include tramways and depot, St Anne's church, Broomstair Bridge, River Tame, Peak Forest Canal, numerous small works such as hat manufacturers, Victoria Iron Works, Market Place, Town Hall, Christ Church, Kingston Bridge, Broomstair Mill, Planet Foundry, Wellington Fur Works etc.

The map links up with Lancashire Sheets 105.10 Guide Bridge to the north, 105.13 Denton West to the west, 112.02 South Denton to the south; also with Cheshire sheet 11.01 Hyde to the east.

Further information:

Denton, which had absorbed Haughton, was an independent urban district from 1894 to 1974, when it was swallowed up by Tameside. It was above all celebrated for its hatmaking, with several 'Hat Manufacturers' dotted around this map, but there was also engineering and coal-mining. Though poorly served by the railways and canals, Denton was on major tram routes, with services to Manchester, Ashton and Hyde. Perhaps more surprisingly, the map includes four Anglican churches, all of them interesting, with the unusual half-timbered church of St Lawrence and the remarkable St Anne's, a tour de force from the architects Medland and Henry Taylor. To the north of the town, just across the border with Audenshaw, St Hilda's church was run by a maverick priest, Father Rowland Jones, who wrote for the Daily Herald and regularly incurred the wrath of his bishop.

It will be posted in a board backed envelope to ensure it reaches you in perfect condition.