Hartlepool 1857 - Durham Sheet 37.07a
STEVE GARTON GENEALOGY - GODFREY EDITION OLD ORDNANCE SURVEY MAPS
HARTLEPOOL 1857 - DURHAM SHEET 37.07a
These detailed maps normally cover an area of about one and a half miles by one mile. Each map includes an introduction and many include extracts of directories, local transport timetables and additional maps.
Two versions of this map are available, showing how the area developed across the years. Both maps are double-sided to provide maximum coverage. They cover the Headland area of Hartlepool - the original town - and coverage extends westward to include Victoria Dock, the Old Harbour, Throston Ward and Hartlepool Cemetery.
The early 1857 edition covers the original town around St Hilda's church, Market Place, High Street, railway terminus, Friarage Close, Farwell Field, Trinity church, Victoria Dock, Tide Harbour, Hart Warren, Warren Cement Works, Milbank Forge, The Sleake, Warren Hall. West of the Tide Harbour there is little development, but Cleveland Road is shown built across an empty landscape.
By contrast, the 1914 map - the year of Hartlepool's 'Bombardment' - is far more developed. The Headland area is again shown in full, but west of that around Victoria Dock and what is now called Old Harbour are many railway and industrial developments including Fish Quay, Hartlepool Engine Works, station, engine sheds, Central Marine Engine Works, Central Shipbuilding Yard, Greenland Creosote Works, North Basin, Cemetery Battery, Fort Sanitary Hospital.
We regret that the 1894 version of this map is currently unavailable.
The map links up with Sheet 37.11 West Hartlepool to the south
It will be posted in a board backed envelope to ensure it reaches you in perfect condition.