Holy Island & Seahouses 1863 - England Sheet 4a
This folded map which measures approximately 24" x 18" when unfolded is produced by Alan Godfrey and covers an area of about 18 miles by 12 miles. It shows railways, roads and canals, and gives a broad view of a wider area. It also includes an introduction and a more detailed map of a small town or village.
We have published two versions of this map, showing how the area developed across the years. The 1898 version is colour printed.
Both maps cover the same area, stretching from Holy Island southward to Beadnell Bay, and westward to Wooler. They also include the Farne Islands, Seahouses, Bamburgh and Chillingham. On the reverse of the 1863 map is a detailed large scale map of Holy Island village, together with a directory; on the reverse of the 1898 version is a map of Seahouses, including part of North Sunderland.
It is not possible to list the many hamlets, farmsteads and other topographical features shown on this map. The towns and principal villages or church parishes that are included on this map are:
Northumberland: Bamburgh, Beadnell, Beal, Belford, Chatton, Chillingham, Doddington, Ellingham, Farne Islands, Haggerston Castle, Holy Island, Lowick, North Sunderland, Seahouses, Wooler.
It will be posted in a board backed envelope to ensure it reaches you in perfect condition.