Leeds North West 1908 - Yorkshire Sheet 218.01b
STEVE GARTON GENEALOGY - GODFREY EDITION OLD ORDNANCE SURVEY MAPS
LEEDS NORTH WEST 1908 - YORKSHIRE SHEET 218.01b
These detailed maps normally cover an area of about one and a half miles by one mile. Each map includes an introduction and many include extracts of directories, local transport timetables and additional maps.
We have published two detailed maps for NW Leeds, showing how the area changed across the years. The 1889 version is in full colour.
The maps cover a major area of West and NW Leeds, encompassing a portion of the city centre, industry along the River Aire, the area now covered by the University, and residential areas of Burley and Woodhouse. Coverage stretches from Salisbury Road and Burley Grange eastward to Park Square and Vernon Road, and from Wellington Street and York Place northward to Brudenell Street and Royal Park Road. Kirkstall Road, Burley Road and Belle Vue Road run through the map. This is a busy and even crowded map but the many features include the River Aire with many industries nearby, Armley Mills, Leeds & Liverpool Canal, Albion ammunition works, Wellington Foundry, Leeds Forge, Scotch Foundry, Oak Tannery, Joppa tannery, stretches of the Midland and Leeds Northern railway approaches, portion of Armley (bottom left corner), Burley Lawn, Little Woodhouse, General Infirmary, Catholic College, Yorkshire College (later Leeds University), Trinity church, St George's church, General Cemetery. Despite the city centre and industry, vast swathes of back-to-back housing cover a lot of the map. As usual we include extracts from street directories on the reverse.
The map links up with Sheets 203.13 Headingley to the north, 217.04 Armley to the west, 218.02 Central Leeds to the east and 218.05 Holbeck to the south.
It will be posted in a board backed envelope to ensure it reaches you in perfect condition.