Newhaven North 1937 - Sussex Sheet 78.03

Newhaven North 1937 - Sussex Sheet 78.03

  • £3.50
    Unit price per 
  • Save £0.25
Tax included.


STEVE GARTON GENEALOGY - GODFREY EDITION OLD ORDNANCE SURVEY MAPS

NEWHAVEN NORTH 1937 - SUSSEX SHEET 78.03

These detailed maps normally cover an area of about one and a half miles by one mile. Each map includes an introduction and many include extracts of directories, local transport timetables and additional maps.

We have published two detailed maps of Newhaven, a town which "grew up around the small fishing village of Meeching and whose development as a port dates from the 16th century", as author Tony Painter begins his introduction. The two maps link up with each other and, together with comprehensive notes on the history of the place and extensive extracts from an early directory go to provide a splendid portrait of a major port.

The Newhaven North map covers the town centre, around High Street, Bridge Street, Chapel Street; coverage extends north to Denton, with St Leonard's church near the top of the map, westward towards the town's isolation hospital, and eastward to Seaford Road. Features include the town station, St Michael's church, the River Ouse, North Quay, swing bridge with track leading across it towards the West bank industries; engine shed and sidings; Poor Law Institution (or workhouse). Tony Painter tells us about the underground tunnels created under Heighton Hill as part of a secret communications centre in 1941. On the reverse we also include information on the town from an early directory.

It will be posted in a board backed envelope to ensure it reaches you in perfect condition.