Notting Hill 1893 - London Sheet 59b
STEVE GARTON GENEALOGY - GODFREY EDITION OLD ORDNANCE SURVEY MAPS
NOTTING HILL 1893 - LONDON SHEET 59b
These detailed maps normally cover an area of about one and a half miles by one mile. Each map includes an introduction and many include extracts of directories, local transport timetables and additional maps.
We have published three versions of this map, showing how the area developed across the years. The maps each cover the same area, from White City eastward to Pembridge Square and St Stephen's Square, and capture the area of Kensington known as Notting Hill. In the NE is a portion of Paddington parish, including Westbourne Park station; to the west is a portion of Hammersmith parish, rural in the early map but later developed to include White City. The area developed considerably over the years, so brief notes about each map are given below:
The 1871 map (actually largely surveyed in 1863-5) shows the Ladbroke Estate already largely developed around Ladbroke Grove, Lansdowne Crescent, Ladbroke Square, Kensington Park Road and other well set out streets. The area was previously known as Notting Dale or 'The Kensington Potteries'. amela Taytlor explains how this development took place. Further west development is less complete and beyond Latimer Road there are still farms. Several railways run through the map: the West London Junction Railway, the Hammersmith & City Railway, with Notting Hill station, and a small section of the GWR with Westbourne Grove station and engine sheds. At the north of the map is more countryside with Portobello Farm and Notting Barn. Extreme top right is Paddington Workhouse.
The 1894 map shows Notting Hill entirely built up, with streets and houses as far as Latimer Road, which now has a station. Features include Mary Place Workhouse, Phoenix Brewery, Avondale Park, Kensington Public Baths, St Charles RC College, Franciscan Convent, Carmelite Convent, St Quintin Park, St Quintin & Wormwood Scrubbs station. Beyond the West London Railway is an area of brickfields and (apparently) piggeries. On the reverse are street directories for Ladbroke Grove, Ladbroke Square and Lancaster Road.
The 1914 map shows the area further developed, with tramways and Wood Lane station. The main new development in the SW area of the map is the Olympic Stadium and the Great White City complex built for the Shepherds Bush Exhibition. Nearby is part of the Central London Railway Depot.
The map links up with London Sheets 47 Kensal Green to the north, 58 East Acton to the west, 60 Paddington to the east, 73 Holland Park to the south.
It will be posted in a board backed envelope to ensure it reaches you in perfect condition.