Southampton West 1931 - Hampshire Sheet 65.10b
STEVE GARTON GENEALOGY - GODFREY EDITION OLD ORDNANCE SURVEY MAPS
SOUTHAMPTON WEST 1931 - HAMPSHIRE SHEET 65.10b
These detailed maps normally cover an area of about one and a half miles by one mile. Each map includes an introduction and many include extracts of directories, local transport timetables and additional maps.
We have published two versions of this map, showing how the area changed across the years.
Few map areas have changed more comprehensively than this, for in 1908 the tide still came up to the western shore, and almost up to the station. This land was infilled as part of the Western Docks project between 1927 and 1934. Our map shows the area from French Street northward to Polygon Road, and westward to Waterloo Road. Though much of the map was therefore mud and sand in 1908 - with several creeks, there is still much of interest, features including Bugle Street, St Michael's church, Western Esplanade, Corporation Baths, West Quay, Lansdowne Hill, Polygon, West Marlands (before the Civic Centre was built), West Park, Thorners Charity, Southampton West station, Fourposts, Blechynden.
The map links up with Hampshire Sheet 65.11 Southampton East to the east.
It will be posted in a board backed envelope to ensure it reaches you in perfect condition.