Stansted Mountfichet 1921 - Essex Sheet 23.15
STEVE GARTON GENEALOGY - GODFREY EDITION OLD ORDNANCE SURVEY MAPS
STANSTED MOUNTFICHET 1921 - ESSEX SHEET 23.15
These detailed maps normally cover an area of about one and a half miles by one mile. Each map includes an introduction and many include extracts of directories, local transport timetables and additional maps.
This double-sided map shows Stansted Mountfichet as it was in 1921 in great detail, featuring individual houses, the remains of the castle, St John's and St Mary's Parish Churches, Chapel of Our Lady, Stansted Park, Stansted House, Hargrave Park, Bentfield End, Castle Hill, Rochford's Nurseries with tramway. St Mary's church has the tomb of Sir Thomas Middleton, who was at some point Lord Mayor of London, and his daughter. A prominent feature of this map is the Great Eastern Railway - the Cambridge Main Line - that stretches right across the map, with station. This rail line resulted in a slow growth of Stansted's population, adding to the existing half-timbered buildings. The brewery which existed between 1887 and 1925 is evident on this map on Brewery Lane near Croft House. Stansted benefitted economically from the Cambridge Road that runs through it, bringing wealth to the town which is also evident in the polo and golf sports available to the community.
It will be posted in a board backed envelope to ensure it reaches you in perfect condition.