Tow Law 1897 - Durham Sheet 25.11
STEVE GARTON GENEALOGY - GODFREY EDITION OLD ORDNANCE SURVEY MAPS
TOW LAW 1897 - DURHAM SHEET 25.11
These detailed maps normally cover an area of about one and a half miles by one mile. Each map includes an introduction and many include extracts of directories, local transport timetables and additional maps.
Tow Law stands over 1,000 feet up, and developed in the mid 19th century with the growth of the Weardale Iron Co; the population peaked at 5,005 in 1881 but had fallen to 4,371 by 1901; the iron works closed in the 1880s, local ore being too expensive to extract. However, this is still a busy map with several collieries and railways. Features include the town itself, with cattle market, Dan's Castle, Tow Law Iron Works (a smaller works run by Joseph Bond), station, St Philip & St James church, South Cornsay, Black Prince Colliery. Further east the map includes West Thornley Colliery, Hedleyhope Colliery and the NER's Hedleyhope Incline. All the collieries have extensive coke ovens. On the reverse we include a small extract of adjacent sheet 25.10 extending coverage to Inkerman. A directory is also included.
It will be posted in a board backed envelope to ensure it reaches you in perfect condition.