West Hartlepool 1857-73 - Durham Sheet 37.11a
STEVE GARTON GENEALOGY - GODFREY EDITION OLD ORDNANCE SURVEY MAPS
WEST HARTLEPOOL 1857-73 - DURHAM SHEET 37.11a
These detailed maps normally cover an area of about one and a half miles by one mile. Each map includes an introduction and many include extracts of directories, local transport timetables and additional maps.
Three versions of this map are available, showing how the area developed across the years. They cover West Hartlepool - the new town created by Ward Jackson in the mid 19th century as a major shipbuilding and coal shipping port. The town developed from the old hamlet of New Stranton. Coverage stretches from Bengal Street eastward to the coast and from Middleton and Central Dock southward to Musgrave Street.
The early 1857 edition shows the town developing around Christ Church and Church Street. Features include Middleton, Jackson Dock, Timber Dock, many coal drops, Harbour Terrace, Albert Square, station (on Mainsforth Terrace), West Harbour, New Road, gasworks. There is very little development west of Stockton Street. Surveyed in 1857, the map was updated to 1873. Extracts from an early trade directory are included.
It will be posted in a board backed envelope to ensure it reaches you in perfect condition.